Poolside Pancakes (GF, DF)
Hello summer! It's finally feeling like summer on the east coast and as the temperatures rise, those that live in the city flock to the suburbs (and Montauk) to cool down in the pool or the ocean. I'm lucky enough to be able to head to my parent's house in Philadelphia where pool time means Vampire Weekend blasting through the speakers, lemonade with mint picked fresh from the garden, and lots of puppy play time.
I've started to eat breakfast poolside to enjoy the warm but not yet humid air of the early morning. The dew is still clinging to the grass, there's a slight breeze that makes the leaves on the trees sway in rhythm to the sounds of bunny nibbling on a plant and the squirrels scurrying up the trees. It's so peaceful.
I was craving something really decadent this week and have been struggling with a gluten free pancake recipe that wasn't mushy. I've done almond flour pancakes, banana and egg (which I call banana soup because it never works), and just about any other gluten free recipe you've seen. Not one to give up, I've been recipe testing for about six months to find the perfect blend of ingredients. I knew there had to be a way to make pancakes taste good and have them be gluten free.
Well, I was right. These chocolate, fudgey, gluten free, dairy free pancakes are incredibly delicious. They're fluffy and not too heavy with good for you ingredients that make them a little healthier than your average Bisquick mix (sorry Nick!). Keep in mind, I said a little. I wouldn't recommend eating these every day, but topped with some coconut and blueberries and eaten poolside, these are the ultimate summer vacation treat. Here's what's in them:
Cocoa powder gives these pancakes their chocolate decadence but without all the sugar. Cocoa powder is full of magnesium for heart and brain health, has 40 times more antioxidants than blueberries, and is rich in iron to help enrich our blood. Almond flour is rich in potassium, calcium, and vitamin E which helps our bones and Vitamin E is great for skin. Coconut butter (and coconut shreds on top) are the healthy fat add to this breakfast, which helps with good cholesterol and keeping you full. Flax has omega-3s for a heart healthy boost and cinnamon, nutmeg, and blueberries add additional antioxidants to this poolside treat.
These are perfect for one, brunch, or breakfast with friends. Enjoy!
Poolside Pancakes (GF, DF)
- 1/2 cup fine almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2/3 cup nut milk (or any other milk you'd like)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground flax (you can always leave this out)
- Sprinkle of salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (I know it sounds weird, but it works)
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter (or ghee or butter)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Handful of blueberries
- 1/4 cup organic coconut shreds
- In medium sized bowl, mix together almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, spices, and flax and blend well. Then, add in the cocoa powder until fully combined.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients (liquid) until fully combined.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well. It should be the consistency of pancake batter but a little bit thicker. If you need to thin in out, add water or more nut milk to your desired consistency.
- Heat a medium sized pan and spray with coconut oil or ghee, taking a large spoon, put two or three scoops of batter onto the pan and cook on low heat about four minutes on the first side and three on the second.
- Before you flip it, you want the outside edges to be slightly cooked so it's easy to flip
- Continue doing this until there is no batter left
- Stack the pancakes on top of each other and top with blueberries, coconut shreds, and maple syrup or any other toppings of your choosing
- Eat somewhere that makes you feel like you're on vacation (even if it's just looking at a beach picture on your computer)!