Chia Dark Chocolate Dipped Oranges
It is Cara Cara orange season! I am not a huge orange fan but I absolutely love Cara Cara oranges. They're winter fruit and a little bit larger than your average orange. They're also a little more expensive but well worth it. They're super juicy, sweet, and this beautiful burnt orange-red color that always has people thinking I'm eating a grapefruit. People at work literally took slices out of my bowl they loved it so much.
I usually eat my oranges plain but have been craving something decadent and chocolate dipped this frigid week in New York. Enter these delicious slices of orange-y goodness! They're so easy and still very healthy for you. All you do is take some dark chocolate and coconut oil and heat it up. Peel your orange. Lay out some parchment paper on a pan. Dip the oranges in the chocolate and sprinkle with chia. Ten minutes in the fridge and you have a great snack or dessert!
In the peak of cold and flu season, these also pack a nutritious punch. Oranges give you a major dose of Vitamin C as well as lycopene for some heart and brain health benefits. Coconut oil is an antiviral and anti-inflammatory so if anything is brewing, it can provide a good defense against those germs. Dark chocolate is just delicious. It does have some health benefits like providing magnesium, iron, and being full of antioxidants. But let's be honest, we all know that's not why I used it.
This plus ginger shots every day I'm hoping will help me ward off the germs (and okay, have a delicious snack when it's too cold to go outside).
Hope you enjoy these!
Chia-Chocolate Dipped Oranges
Servings: 8-12 Slices (depending on orange size)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cool Time: 10 Minutes
Total Recipe Time: 20 Minutes
- 1-2 Cara Cara Oranges (you can also do regular oranges)
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- Peel orange(s) and set slices on parchment paper on a pan or plate
- Put chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl and heat for 30 seconds than stir, continue for 30 second increments until fully melted
- Dip each orange slice halfway into chocolate bowl and place back onto parchment paper
- Sprinkle with chia seeds (or other topping of your choice like ginger, sea salt, or hemp seed)
- Place in fridge for 10 minutes until chocolate is solidified
- Serve cold and eat within three days