Blackened Fish Tacos With Crispy Kale & Avocado-Lime Sauce
I am most proud of this recipe because it came from a "I don't know what the hell to make with this fish" evening after Nick left for the weekend, leaving me with a lot of fish that needed to be cooked that day. I was beyond not in the mood to cook but had a few healthy options in the fridge that were about to go bad very fast.
I improvised on the avocado-lime sauce by combining a full avocado, some fabanaise mayo, lime, and Borsari, which is one of my favorite spice blends they sell at Whole Foods. I placed it in the fridge to get cold while I made the rest of the components.
I washed some gorgeous local purple kale and drizzled Algae oil on it and a little pepper and Pink Himalayan Sea Salt. Then, just put it in the toaster on 350 till it started to crisp. I cut up some zucchini and shallots (still no garlic because of the ALCAT) and sautéed those till slightly brown. While that was cooking, I rubbed brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and cumin on the fish and seared it on high heat.
Now let me caveat this by saying any fish that tastes remotely fishy, I don't like. So without drowning this one in lemon or breading it in almond meal, I was super nervous it would be too fishy for me to eat and my dinner would default to a bowl of cereal (more on that later-organic gluten free choco-bunnies are the best)!
Guys, it was so good. Like so GOOD. I was sad there was no one to share it with but immediately texted my friend telling her we had to make it again. The crispy crunch of the kale compliments the creaminess of the avocado sauce perfectly and the zucchini and shallots balance the spice and smokiness of the fish which gets a beautiful caramelization from the brown sugar. I used an ezekiel wrap for this but you could eat over salad or with taco shells. Enjoy!
Blackened Fish Tacos With Crispy Kale and Avocado-Lime Sauce
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Recipe Time: 45 Minutes
Tilapia (or mild fish of your choosing)
2 Ezekiel tortilla wraps
1 medium size zucchini
1-2 medium sized shallots
1 ripe avocado
1 lime (with zest)
2 tablespoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Vegan Mayo (I like this Fabanaise)
- For the Avocado-Lime Sauce:
- Combine ripe avocado with zest and juice of lime and 3-4 shakes of Borsari
- Blend in vegan mayo till fully combined
- Place in fridge with pit to keep the sauce fresh until you're ready to plate
- For the Fish Tacos:
- Rub tilapia with blend of cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and paprika and let marinate in spices for 5-10 minutes
- Cut zucchini and onions into small pieces and sauté on low heat in grass fed butter until slightly brown
- Wash and cut kale into small pieces, drizzling with algae oil and a few shakes of Pink Himalayan Salt and place in the toaster oven on 350 until crispy
- Place fish on hot skillet with avocado oil on medium heat searing on both sides until slightly blackened and cooked through
- Once everything has finished cooking, place avocado sauce on taco, then add fish, sautéed vegetables, crispy kale, and a sprinkle of lime
- Serve warm!