My Non-Toxic Skincare Routine
I hate washing my face-and I mean hate it. I love eyeliner and will often go to the gym with my makeup on from the workday. For a long time I was sleeping with a full face of makeup. Years ago I discovered face wipes which made washing my face before bed a lot easier, but I was dealing with regular breakouts, dry skin patches, and a very puffy face.
When I first got into health & wellness, I began reading a book called No More Dirty Looks by Siobhan O'Connor. Essentially, even if your diet is organic, your skin, the body's biggest organ, can be absorbing chemicals from your beauty products. There's little regulation in what goes into products you put on every day and they are filled with chemicals that are banned in many other countries.
So, I use EWG's Skin Deep database for products that scored a 3 or below to clean up my skin routine and tested through a lot of inexpensive and expensive options to find the right mix. Magically (or not so magically), my skin rapidly improved after removing toxins from my routine and taking care of my skin is still super easy and not insanely expensive! Here's the routine:
Morning: My AM routine is super simple, I don't like to cake my face with skin products since I'm already putting makeup on.
- Before I apply my makeup I spritz Heritage Rosewater on as a toner
- If my skin is particularly dry, I'll put coconut oil on before my makeup
- If I have a zit, I take a q-tip and put on a dot of tea tree oil (just watch this around your mouth it can be bad if ingested). This will usually clear up the zit in 2-3 days!
In The Shower: When I am washing my hair, I'll also do my skincare routine (no I don't wash my hair every day, it's not good for it!)
- For Breakouts: Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Cleanser (full disclosure: a friend gave me this for free. I know it's on the pricier side but I like it!)
- For Exfoliation: Acure Organics Brightening Facial Scrub
- For a Gentle Face Mask: Juice Beauty Apple Peel (also a freebie)
- I honestly don't do masks too often though, I think they're refreshing but overrated for solving skin issues
- For Every Day: Sea Kind Sea Glow Wash is my body wash and works perfectly on the face as well
- As soon as I get out I put a bit of coconut oil on my face so it can be absorbed while my pores are still open. Don't let anyone try to sell you an expensive coconut oil--a jar should be no more than $10 and they all do the same thing!
- I wash my face with Alba Botanica Hawaiian Volcanic Clay wipes
- I put Poppy + Pout's Cocoa Cashmere Cream all over my face-it makes my skin insanely soft!
- I spritz Heritage Rosewater again for a toner
- I put Radha Rosehip Oil on and around my eyes. I originally received this tip from Princess Kate (I wish personally) It really reduces under eye circles and is supposed to prevent wrinkles.
That's it! Do you have a non-toxic skincare routine you swear by? Let me know in the comments!