Superfood Chocolate Frosting Crack Balls
These. are. AWESOME. I was desperate to find a recipe similar to 26 Grains cacao date balls after my London trip and I'm proud to say I just blew them out of the water. This literally tastes like you're licking frosting out of the bowl except that it's insanely healthy and won't give you a stomach ache. The key to the creaminess in these is Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Creamer. I don't drink coffee, but this creamer is great to add to a turmeric latte, shakes for extra creaminess, and these crack balls because IT IS MAGIC.
I'll admit, these aren't the most instagrammable snacks in the world but they more than make up for it in taste and contain superfood ingredients that you can feel great about eating. Here's why these pack such a punch: Almonds, pepitas, and almond butter give these balls tons of protein, fiber, and magnesium (which is great if you have your period). The dates promote healthy digestion and can help with constipation as well as providing a healthy dose of B6 and potassium.
I'm always looking for ways to get in chia seeds without making chia seed pudding (I hate the texture). They're so good for you though so this was the perfect way to get them in without the pudding feel and provide this recipe with a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids which help raise good cholesterol. Cocoa powder, unlike straight chocolate, has been shown to have antidepressant effects as well as being rich in flavinoids which have antioxidant benefits. Finally, the collagen creamer boosts energy, provides protein, and supports connective tissue.
So basically you get to eat frosting that is helping you stay healthy. It's truly the dream.
Nick kept asking for more of these and usually he says dates look like alien poop and wrinkles his nose so a huge win in my book. Recipe below!
Servings: 12-15 Balls
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Assembly Time: 5 Minutes
Total Recipe Time: 20 Minutes
- 12 Organic Dates
- 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 Cup Pepitas
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Scoops Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Creamer
- 3 Heaping Tablespoons Almond Butter
- Pink Himalaya Sea Salt
- Soak dates in water for 1-2 hours, this makes them less sticky and easier to blend
- Blend dates, collagen creamer, almond butter, and cocoa powder in blender (I used a Nutribullet)
- Add in nuts and blend until well combined, with a few chunks still left of the nuts
- Wet your hands and roll into balls about 2-3 inches thick and place on non-stick sheet
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving